Legacy Run raises over $20,000 for Inheritance of Hope

By Catherine Lemel

Sophomore Maggie Dodson ran the 15K race and averaged 9 minutes and 47 seconds per mile. Photo courtesy of Rebecca Dix

The Legacy Run, hosted on Saturday, April 27 was a great success. Lots of money was raised for Inheritance of Hope and there were runners of all ages that turned up. Some of these people included some of Brevard High’s very own students and teachers, including sophomore Maggie Dodson, sophomore Catherine Lemel, freshman Amy Borhaug and Erik Wahus, the Instructional Technology Facilitator.

Freshman Amy Borhaug finished as the first female to cross the finish line of the 5K race. She said, “This was one of the most organized races I have ever seen.” Borhaug also said that she liked everything to do after the race as well. She said that they had a great DJ, lunch, massages, face paint, and a bouncy house, all at no cost to participants. Borhaug also said,  “My greatest memory from the race was the fact that everyone was excited to be there, which is hard to come by.” She said that she thought the event was very successful. Borhaug said, “It was a lot of fun and I hope to do it again next year.”

Sophomore Maggie Dodson, who ran the 15K, said that the race was really exciting. She said, “My goal was to finish the race and I did in 1:32:32 which divides into nine minutes and forty-seven seconds per mile.” Dodson said that she enjoyed the run and that she will probably do it again next year. She said, “There were lots of different-aged people at the race and everyone I talked to had a really good time.” Dodson also said that it was nice that all the roads were all closed off and it was cool because not many people can say that they ran down the middle of highway 276.

Erik Wahus, the Instructional Technology Facilitator, said that the race went very well. He said, “I met my goal of finishing in under 40:00 by finishing in 36:30.” Wahus said that his greatest memory of the event was to see all the support for Inheritance of Hope and all the people that came out to race and volunteer. He also said that he looks forward to participating in the event next year and he would probably train a little more for the race and set a higher goal for himself.

The program Inheritance of Hope provides cost and worry free vacations for families that have a parent with a life-threatening illness so they can build valuable memories.The race raised over $20,000 for the charity Inheritance of Hope.