Taste of Transylvania raises $11,000 for educational foundation

By Catherine Lemel

On Tuesday May 8 the Taste of Transylvania was held at the old Brevard Lumber Company on Railroad avenue.

This event featured food from some of the best local restaurants and music from the local band, The Moonshine Babies. There was also a silent auction and hanging baskets of flowers and herbs for sale. The restaurant list included the Schenck Job Corp, The Falls Landing, The Overlook Dining Room at Connestee Falls, Lake Toxaway Country Club Greystone Inn, Key Falls Inn, Dugan’s Pub, HobNob, Mayberry’s, Marco Trattoria, Trailblazers, Sora, Cielito Lindo, Transylvania Regional Hospital, The Pink Rose Emporium, Blue Ridge Bakery, and The Italian Cookie Lady.

The proceeds from the event went directly to the Transylvania County Education Foundation which exists to promote, develop, and encourage public and private supports of Transylvania County Schools and its goals for education.

Jessica Merrill, director of school and community relations, said that the Taste of Transylvania has been funding the TCSEF for two years now. She said, “ Ticket sales has continued to grow each year and the majority of the attendees are return guests and their friends and family.” Merrill said that the money raised goes directly to the grant program at the TCSEF that grants over $10,000 a year to teachers in the school system. She said that this year close to $11,000 was raised this year at the Taste of Transylvania.

Merrill said that the committee that put the event together was the key to the success of the event, First Citizens Bank as the premier sponsor, WSQL, Oskar Blues brewery and Broad Street Wine were also great additions to the event.

Senior Leah Johnson said that she enjoyed seeing all of the restaurants and what they were offering. She said, “My three favorite dishes were the lobstertinis from the Schenck Job Corps, the ginger chicken from Mayberry’s, and the sushi from Sora.”

Freshman Bonnie Smith said that she thought that the event was very interesting. She said, “There was a wide variety of people at the event and she said that it was a great event for the community.”

Sophomore Beliz Karasu said that she really enjoyed the event and she discovered things about food that she never realized. She said, “There is an art to the preparation of the food that I never realized.

Freshman Carly Onnik said that she thought that the event was wonderful and that the food was delicious. She said that her favorite dish was the cupcakes from Blue Ridge Bakery that were key lime cake and a berry frosting in the shape of a flower. She said, “I really like how they were shaped like flowers and had green fondant, sugar and corn syrup mixture, around the cake to look like stems and I have never had it before and it was very tasty.” Onnik also said that she would go to the event again. She said, Of course I would come back next year. It was a great opportunity to try new food and it is for a great cause as well.”

Merrill said, “I believe that the event was very successful and the new venue, The Brevard Lumber Yard, was a big hit.” Merrill added that the event exceeded her expectations. She said, “I wanted the event to be a community mixer. An event where people can come together, relax, enjoy good food, talk and share a good laugh and that is exactly what happened.”