Break a Leg!

Candice Owen, Theater teacher, shows off the dramatic flare that led her to teach. "Theatre has always been a passion of mine so, getting to share that with my students is really special," said Owen.

Candice Owen, Theater teacher, shows off the dramatic flare that led her to teach. “Theatre has always been a passion of mine so, getting to share that with my students is really special,” said Owen.

Break a Leg!
By: Jessica Austin

Candice Owen’s Theater I class’s final production, Beycot, a one act musical comedy, is drawing nearer to the Nov. 14 performance date. A local playwright wrote Beycot and this will be its debut performance, which adds extra pressure onto students.

Beycot is about a company going bankrupt, so the owner sends his best corporate spy to the Brevard Co. to make sure everything is running smoothly. While she is there, the Brevard Co. pulls many tricks on her to get her to leave.

Brevard High School freshman Caroline Jelly is playing Shirley Yoursafe, the Plant Safety Manager. “Playing this role has been a great experience for me because I was able to have a personality completely different from my own,” said Jelly.

Although the students are excited, there have been problems with the music not being prepared. “A lot of the music was in too high of a key so we had to transpose it so they could sing it. Also, it was way too long so we had to cut it to fit the time requirements,” explained Owen.

The performers have expressed mixed feelings about the pending production. “I’m excited for the show, but it is really nerve-wracking to think about how close it is. Still, overall I’m really excited,” said Jelly. The performance will start at 7:00 p.m. in the BHS auditorium.