T.I.M.E to Learn

T.I.M.E to Learn
By Jessica Austin

T: time. I: inquiry. M: matter. E: explore. This helps to explain the T.I.M.E Science class offered at BHS. T.I.M.E Science is a program whose focus is to give students time to answer their own scientific inquiries, realize that what they find matters to others then have the opportunity to explore other areas of science.

Laura Patch, a BHS teacher is a mentor for the program. “This is a class for students who are highly interested in the exploration of science. The purpose of the class is to have time during the school day to actually conduct scientific research and carry out a science experiment/project/study,” said Patch.

To get involved, a student has to fill out an application. “The application process consists of two letters of recommendation, personal information, agreement that the student can join the current class to the state science fairs in March and also a four day workshop in June, and a personal essay. The deadline for next years class is Feb. 6th and application packets can be picked up from myself or Mrs. Williams,” said Patch.

Once a member of the class, students begin brainstorming ideas that could be investigated based on their interests. Then, researches that topic to see what has been done or what is still in question in the science world, then plans and conducts a study or experiment. “each student is different because students actually get to pick their topic and sometimes there is a lot out there to base a project on and sometimes we are totally experimenting with things for the first time,” said Patch.

Indya Thompson, senior, is a member of the T.I.M.E Science program. “I joined this class because science is my passion and I was definitely interested in getting hands-on experience. I wanted to expand my science knowledge and I also wanted to study something different and personalized to me,” said Thompson.

Another student, Justin Coye, junior, shares the interest in exploring science in a new way. The reason I joined this class was ultimately based around my interest in the outside world. It was such an awesome thought to me that I could do some serious research with science in high school,” said Coye.

In the class, students mainly work on their own projects. “My personal project is about diatoms. Diatoms are a type of plankton that lives in different water sources. For my project, I have collected these diatoms from local streams, have prepared slides of the samples and am now in the process of identifying the specific species of each diatom,” said Thompson.

Although students have the opportunity to explore science outdoors, the class is designed to accommodate any area of interest. “For my project, I developed a spectrophotometric system that uses an iPhone to take photos of a visible light spectrum. I have used this device to perform tests for antioxidants,” said Matthew Harris, senior.

Not only is the class a way for students to learn more about science, it also makes them feel they are contributing to the world around them. “I joined the class because I liked the idea that my project would be adding something new to the world of science,” said Garland Joseph, freshman.

The T.I.M.E Science class is different from all other science classes offered at BHS. “There are no tests and quizzes as in a traditional class, and students have the freedom to pursue topics of research of their own interest. I would recommend this class to anyone who really loves science,” said Harris.

Other students agree the class is a learning experience in itself and is unlike traditional science classes. “T.I.M.E science has taught me a lot. It has taught me to manage my time well, it has taught that it is okay to ask for help, and most importantly it has taught that it is okay to fail because you learn a lot more from your failure,” said Joseph. “T.I.M.E is not like any science class you have ever taken. You are not learning science, you are doing science,” said Joseph.

HANDS ON SCIENCE Freshman Lianne Duscio works on her project for T.I.M.E science. “Our project has  a learning experience. It has really taught me more than I have ever learned in a normal science class,” said Lianne’s project partner, freshman Garland Joseph. The pair will be  presenting on Dec. 18th  at 1:30 p.m.. Photo credit: Lianne Duscio

HANDS ON SCIENCE
Freshman Lianne Duscio works on her project for T.I.M.E science. “Our project has
a learning experience. It has really taught me more than I have ever learned in a normal
science class,” said Lianne’s project partner, freshman Garland Joseph. The pair will be
presenting on Dec. 18th at 1:30 p.m..
Photo credit: Lianne Duscio