Brevard College Sculpture Exhibit

BC Sculpture Exhibit

By John Miller

Brevard College art department will showcase eight of Kyle Van Lusk’s sculptures on January 24th. The opening reception to Lusk’s exhibition, titled “Journey”, starts at 5:30. The steel and cast iron sculptures will be on exhibit until February 21. Exhibit hours are from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and it is free of charge to the public.

Lusk has been involved in art at Brevard college for eight years, and showcases his art in cities all across the southeast. His cast iron sculptures were last shown on the campus of the University of South Carolina. “When I’m not in the studio, I like to be out in the forest.” Lusk said. “I really developed a connection with Pisgah National Forest when I was a BHS (and later BC) student and started climbing and biking.” “I did have a short episode of my life, the first year of college, where I was a little intimidated to continue studying art because of so many people (friends and teachers) telling me that I would never be able to “make a living” as an artist. Luckily I got over that and went back to studying what I loved.” Lusk earned his associate of fine arts degree at Brevard College, and continued on to earn a master’s degree in fine arts from ECU.

The exhibit is in the Spiers Gallery, which is a 1500 square foot gallery located within the Sims Art Center. The Spiers Gallery regularly showcases art and sculptures throughout.

This exhibit is the perfect place to take your significant other on a Friday night!