High school students recognized in weekend art contest

by Kyra Nakagawa

The Art Guild recently sponsored a sidewalk art contest outside of the Transylvania County Library. The contest was open to students who have already taken an art class at Brevard High School or are currently enrolled in an art class in either first or second semester.

Brevard High School students participated in the competition. Some of the exceptional places the students achieved were Megan Ashworth, taking  “Best of Show”,  Erica Pauer in second place, and Dustin Newton following up in third place. Destiny Wiggins earned an “Honorable Mention”. Students from Rosman High School received first place and three “Honorable Mentions”.

“I started the competition because I was inspired by the much larger Sidewalk Art Festival hosted by Savannah College of Art & Design in Savannah, Ga.,” said Sean Parrish, visual arts teacher at Brevard High. “I wanted to bring the spirit of that competition/festival here.”

At Savannah College of Art & Design, also called SCAD, a similar chalk contest is held in April on their campus. SCAD students and alumni and high school students participate  in their competition.

“I think it is important to have contest such as this so that we can come together as a school to show our talent to the community,” said Wiggins. “This is my last year being able to participate in the contest and I look forward to this every year.”

“This contest was originally just for fun, to help support the Art Guild, but once I started my drawing I really got into it and gave it a lot of effort,” said Pauer.

“Since very few members of the local community see the talents of our art students, I wanted to showcase the awesome art created by Brevard High School and Rosman High School students and I felt this was a perfect way to do that,” said Parrish.

Photo courtesy of Sean Parrish Artwork by Dustin Newton, receiving 3rd place

Photo courtesy of Sean Parrish
Artwork by Dustin Newton, receiving third place

Photo courtesy of Sean Parrish Artwork by Erica Pauer, receiving second place

Photo courtesy of Sean Parrish
Artwork by Erica Pauer, receiving second place

Photo courtesy of Sean Parrish Artwork by Megan Asheworth, receiving "Best of Show"

Photo courtesy of Sean Parrish
Artwork by Megan Asheworth, receiving “Best of Show”

,