Craig Pritchett

Coach Pritchett hopes to take Brevard High football to many victories in the future.

by Ashley Long

Craig Pritchett, head football coach and boys weightlifting instructor, has become a Brevard Blue Devil. Pritchett, a graduate of Tusculum College, holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Graphic Design and a Masters of Science degree in Kinesiology.

Although many misconceptions are made about Pritchett because of his serious, athletic outer appearance, he said he is not as “mean and rude” as many people might think.

Pritchett has been teaching for more than 10 years and has enjoyed every bit of it. Pritchett decided to start his career in education because he knew he would be able to make a difference in children’s lives, especially through football. Pritchett’s players have noticed this, even in the short time that Pritchett has been here.

“Coach Pritchett is one of the best coaches to teach discipline and future skills that will make Brevard High football players better people and better men. I believe that he will take us into many victories in the future as a Brevard High coach,” senior linebacker Chase Crump said.

Coach Pritchett admits that he does have a harder coaching style but feels it has been shown to be quite effective.

“The football players and coaches always try to stay as positive as they can. This team has been taught that positivity can go quite a long way,” Pritchett said.

Coach Kyle Dickey agrees.

“Pritchett’s coaching style is very hard, but it is also positive, honest and direct.” Dickey said. “The players really look up to him because he does coach with these qualities.”

Pritchett’s coaching sytle is one thing really attracted Dickey to Brevard Football.

“There is no yelling or negativity and practices and games are always made to be a positive environment,” Dickey said. “Coaches and players are always uplifting to one another. Positive motivation trumps negativity.”

Pritchett, father of two, might have a hard coaching style when it comes to football, but his wife, Susanne Pritchett, says that when it comes to their children, life is very different.

“He has always been disciplined in everything that he does but, he’s also very relaxed outside of school,” said Susanne Pritchett. “His ‘baseline’ is always the same and his game face is on when it needs to be.”

Craig Pritchett looks forward to the future.

“I’m excited to see where I can take Brevard High football in the seasons to come,” Craig Pritchett said. “I have a lot of faith in the team and in my students. My career at Brevard High has started off great, and I can’t wait to grow and develop here in Western North Carolina.”