Commitment to Graduation

Freshmen Luke Ellenberger, Luci Eddins, Alex Eberhart, Benji Dial and Alex Ear sign the banner during the “Commitment to Graduation” ceremony.

by Meredith Hooper

According to DoSomething.org, over 1.2 million students drop out of high school annually. That is a student every 26 seconds, or 7,000 dropouts a day.

These numbers are a growing concern for administrators across the United States, but also at Brevard High School.

On Thursday, October 29, freshman students were invited to participate in an event called “Commitment to Graduation”.

“This year, Mrs Anderson was approached with the idea of doing a Commitment to Graduation ceremony”, said school counselor Hallie Thoele, “and this was provided by Jostens who provided us with the Commitment to Graduation banner, as well as an allotment to help support putting on this event.”

Students were given the opportunity to walk across the stage and sign a poster provided by Jostens to serve as a visual commitment to graduation in 3 and a half years.

“Commitment to Graduation was really fun and I liked dressing up in a cap and gown, but I don’t think it will keep people from dropping out”, said freshman Emma Dauster, “but I do think they should continue it.”