Quiz Bowl

BHS students at a quiz bowl meeting during lunch.

by Garland Joseph

Quiz Bowl is one of Brevard High School’s academic clubs.  The members met every Tuesday during lunch and Friday after school in sponsor Mark McCann’s room to prepare for upcoming competitions and to have fun by answering tricky and amusing trivia questions.

The rules of quiz bowls are simple.  There are two teams of 4 and anyone on the teams can buzz in for the 20 toss-up questions. Then, whichever team gets the toss-up question right can work together to answer the bonus questions.  If the team cannot answer the bonus, the other team is given an opportunity to answer it.

“Questions about anything from mythology to Dragon Ball Z are asked at practice,” said Parker Winston, a sophomore member of Quiz Bowl.  There are a wide variety of questions asked at each quiz bowl practice.

There are also a wide variety of ways that members of quiz bowl prepare for practice. There are books that McCann suggests for practicing, or even just looking through old textbooks.

“I prepare by studying cultural dictionaries,” said Sam Farrar, a junior and member of the team.

Farrar went to the last quiz bowl competition, which was on halloween. The team did well. At the beginning of the competition, all the teams are divided up into groups of 5. They went 1-4 in this group stage. Then the teams were seated based on how well they did in the group stage, and they were seated right in the middle, because they were up a lot of points. They won their first game in the playoffs, but the next round they competed against the #1 seated team. They were eliminated, but they were able to put up 110 points against them.

“I used to be a quiz bowl member myself back when I was in high school, and it always been something that I have found interesting,” said McCann.

Anyone who loves a wide variety of culture, history, math, and science should join Quiz Bowl.  Quiz Bowl is great way to spend some of your time during the week, because you get to spend it with great people and answer really interesting questions.

,