For cooking corner this week, Lauren and I made cookie dough cupcakes. We found a recipe on Pinterest, and baked the cupcakes using Laura Lynn Deluxe Moist Yellow cake mix. The recipe called for yellow cake mix, but we also made a batch with chocolate cake mix, which was equally delicious!
When we tried the cupcakes after icing them, there was barely any cookie dough. We followed the recipe, and when putting them in the batter, it looked like the cupcake was filled with dough. After baking in the oven with the cupcakes, they cooked slightly and shrank, leaving only a little bit of actual cookie dough! If we were to do this again, we would probably use regular sized cookie dough or put two of the mini cookie dough balls in.
We found that pouring the cupcake batter and then putting in cookie dough was more effective than putting the cookie dough in before the batter. By pouring in the batter first, the cookie dough ended up in the middle of the cupcake instead of the bottom. In the video, we put the cookie dough in first but for our second batch, we poured the batter in first, and it worked a lot better.
After the cupcakes come out of the oven, it is important to let them cool before icing. We used vanilla icing on the yellow cake and chocolate icing on the chocolate cake.
Overall, this was a great recipe and one you should definitely try if you love cake and cookies!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup of water
- ⅓ cups of cooking oil
- 3 eggs
- Pillsbury Soft Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies cookie dough
Start by preparing the cookie dough and freezing it for several hours. You can do this by just putting the package of cookie dough into the freezer. Once they are frozen, you’re ready to make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- Follow the directions on the box of your cake mix. Typically, you will be combining the mix, water, oil, and eggs
- Beat until smooth
- Spoon the batter into cupcake/ muffin tins. Make sure they are only ⅔ full
- Place one piece of cookie dough into each cupcake before going into the oven
- Bake according to your cake mix box, typically 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and wait to cool for at least 10 minutes
- After cooling, ice cupcakes with whatever icing you like