Vikings and Rebels and Albums Oh My

by Ian Chrisafis

The Oatmeal Jacket? Vikings? Rebel pride? While this amalgamation of things may seem at first glance to be the plot of a bad action movie, they are actually the subject of Brevard High’s newest garage band B3’s newest album: Beards, Berets, Botanica.

B3 was founded last year by juniors Nicholas Mihalas and Reed Dempsey, though the two original members have since added such legends as Ryu Park and Theo Holshouser.

B3’s genre is as convoluted as the messages in their songs, though Dempsey describes it as “electric Abraham Lincoln” while Mihalas chose the phrase “interpretive, artistic, inept punk”.

The duo drew inspiration for their debut album from various sources, but their main inspiration was the sixteenth US president. “Well of course, you know, my main main Abraham Lincoln. Back from the dead,” said Mihalas.

“Rush. Rush is my main inspiration, besides Abraham Lincoln,” said Mihalas, Dempsey nodding his head solemnly in agreement.

While breaking new barriers in genre, B3 also makes staunch political statements in their songs. In their harrowing ballad “Peace of Mind”, they use such lyrics as “thermostat trees / and floors that look like bees” to express deep, existential worry for the state of the bee population in not only North America, but the world. “Thermostat trees” is also a reference to deforestation. 

“I think it really speaks a lot about the sort of constant state we’re in as Americans,” said Mihalas.

“It has a sort of snowball effect effect, you can relate the whole album to a snowball. It builds up, and you can see the buildup,” said Dempsey.

Luckily for the public, this buildup has already been released. The group’s first album is already fully purchasable through Mihalas as either digital copies or physical CDs. 

“Open up your closed mind, and take a trip on mine,” said Dempsey.

The group is also available for social events such as children’s birthday parties or funerals.

“It’s all groove though, so I can never guarantee it’ll be the same each time. Just keep coming back man,” said Mihalas.

Even with the numerous ways to sate B3’s fans, they will no doubt still be starved for fresh content from the band. To aid this, B3 is in the process of planning another album which will hopefully drop sometime this month.

This album will include all of the band’s current members, as well as possible appearances by such artists as Mack Attack.

The band is very confident in the quality of their music, and we can only wait and see how and where B3 will grow and change.

To quote founder Nick Mihalas, “Yeah, I think this is probably the peak of humanity, honestly.”

, ,