Brevard High School Winter Sports

by Parker Grant and Sawyer Smith

Wrestling. Swim Team. Men’s Basketball. Women’s Basketball. Indoor Track. Winter is prime time for high school sports. With basketball and wrestling electrifying the gym, indoor track running down their competition, and even a new sport with the swim team, these sports really ignite Blue Devil pride in everyone.

Basketball is hoping to have success this season. Varsity men’s basketball currently has an overall record of 5-7 and a conference record of 1-0.

“My main goal for the team this season is to win the conference championship,” said senior varsity men’s basketball player, Ben Miner.

The women’s basketball team has had a pretty successful start with an 8-5 overall record and a 0-1 conference record. They are looking to break an almost 10-year streak.

“My team goal is to make it to the state playoffs for the first time in almost 10 years,” said sophomore varsity women’s basketball player, Brooklyn Rising.

Along with basketball, wrestling is looking to have great success this season. They have their minds set on perfection this season.

“Our goal for the rest of the season is to win all of our remaining matches and become conference champions,” said junior wrestler Luke Ellenberger.

The swim team is getting a lot of attention. This is the swim team’s first year and many students were eager to join.

“I swam in the past and I really wanted something to do to stay in shape and stay competitive,” said senior swimmer Austin Nale.

Of course, all sports at BHS strive to win. Track is one sport that produces many great athletes and is very successful.

“My overall goal this year is to get better so next year I can set myself up for a state title,” said junior track star Will Coye.

The winter may be the coldest months, but these sports put a fire in everyone.

,