Envirothon

by Emma Dauster

The North Carolina Envirothon is a unique environmental and ecological science competition for middle school and high school students. The program prides itself in its interactive, outdoor elements that encourage students not only to learn about important environmental topics but be outdoors in the sun as well.

“Envirothon is an environmental science competition,” said Daniel Toole, senior and member of the BHS Envirothon team. “It consists of five areas: soils, aquatics, current environmental issues, wildlife, and forestry. A team consists of five members, each specializing in their own topic. At competitions, we bring all of the topics together.”

One of the goals of NC Envirothon is to assist middle and high school students in developing essential life skills such as critical thinking, cooperative problem-solving, and decision-making.

“Participating in Envirothon has definitely taught me how to manage my time, especially since I was helping coach the team,” said Toole. “It took a lot of time and organizational skills to manage that time and use it in an efficient way in order to benefit everyone on the team and get done what needed to be done.”

The BHS Envirothon team placed third in the region out of 21 teams and took home the first place prize at the state competition this year.

“I’m just so proud of our five members this year,” said Toole. “Everyone worked hard all year and it paid off; it couldn’t have gone better for us and I feel so fortunate.”

If you are interested in the outdoors and/or any element of environmental science, Envirothon is a great way for you to learn more about the outdoor world and the environment.

“If you are interested in joining Envirothon next year,” said Toole, “there will be an announcement in early March and we will begin meeting so we can form our teams. You can also approach Mr. Harris or Mrs. Rhymer for more information.”

For more information on NC Envirothon, visit https://sites.google.com/site/envirothonnc/home. Congratulations to Pearl Brown, Daniel Toole, John Pickford, Jacob Smith, and Ryan Jackson!