Debate Club Debut

by: Lauren Tooley

For any students who enjoy arguing, competing, learning about current events, or simply observing, there is now a club for you. The debate club is a new at Brevard High School this year. Lauren Tooley, a junior at the high school, instituted the club alongside Mrs. Licht and Mrs. Bullock. Throughout the year, they have a set of debates every month, with the topics ranging from standardized testing to internet security.

Students are able to be one of the two debaters or a spectator. As a debater, they prepare to face another student with facts and logic on their topic. They then have to present their argument and counterargue their opponent’s points in order to convince the audience to take their side. As spectators, students observe the debates and decide who had the most convincing argument. They then aid the teacher in deciding who won the debate.

Damien LaForenza was one of the first students to join the club. “I’ve always wanted to join a debate team because I love arguing and I’m very competitive. Debate team has both!” Students can join others in sharing these passions all while improving their debating and public speaking skills.

The debate club meets Wednesday during Tutorial A in either Mrs. Licht’s or Mrs. Bullock’s room. If interested in joining the club, students can contact Lauren Tooley or attend a meeting.

,