Become a Runner

images (3)

Have you ever dreamed of becoming a runner?  Well, it’s easier than you might think.  By starting small and following a few guidelines and tips from the pros, you’ll be on the trails before you know it.

Running is one of the best ways to exercise your body.  It improves your heart and lungs and reduces the chances of cardiovascular and respiratory diseases.  Running also can lead to weight loss and strengthening of the immune system.

“Running is just about the best thing you can do for your body,” said Lillie Siniard, a member of the BHS cross-country team. “You lose lots of weight and lower the risks of many health disorders.  It’s pretty amazing and I think that everyone should run.”

Warm up/cool down

One tip for beginning runners is to always warm up and cool down after running. Warming up loosens up any sore muscles in your body and allows your heart to adjust to the fast pace of exercise, and usually consists of running 5-10 minutes at your normal pace.  Cooling down allows your heart rate and breathing to return to normal and usually consists of running 5-10 minutes at a very slow pace.

Be consistent

Another tip for beginning runners is to be consistent in exercise.  Being consistent is very important to adjusting to the constant pounding that running afflicts upon your body and keeps you in shape.  To properly adjust to running, your body needs to become used to the feel of regular exercise.  Pick a few days out of the week to go for a run, allowing a day of rest in between and try not to go more than two days without exercising.

Start small

Another tip is to start small.  When you are a beginner, low mileage is very important.  Because your body will not be used to long distances, your first few runs should not be any more than half a mile, excluding warmup and cool down.  As your body becomes more adjusted to running, you may want to add more mileage to your run.  If you wish, you may also cut your run short.

Dress right

Having the right gear is crucial to running.  Without proper shoes, it is easy to develop runner’s knee, patellar fasciitis, and Achilles tendonitis, all of which can bring an end to your running career.  It is also important to dress light.  If you are wearing too many layers, you will get hot.  Just the standard shorts and tank top is necessary.

Don’t be discouraged!

Also remember: every new runner has experienced what you are going through. Don’t be discouraged.

“I had a terrible time when I first started to run,” said Siniard. “I got everything from shin splints to cramps.  As your body adjusts to the sport, all of that goes away with time.  I would always have to stop constantly and drink water or rest because I wasn’t in shape.  Even though starting out can be sticky, when you get in shape and your body becomes adjusted to running, it’s really fun and worthwhile.  I honestly can’t imagine myself where I am right now without running.”

,