FBLA Hosts Regional Competitive Events

By: Aly Henneberry

BHS was well represented at the Western Region Competitive Events Conference bringing home four winners in various events.

Tuesday, December 1, Brevard High School’s Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) students hosted the Regional Competitive Events Conference (RCEC).

The competition began at 8:15 am with registration and went on until 1 pm, ending with the awards ceremony.

Twelve schools were in attendance with a total of 85 students competing in 19 different competitions such as Public Speaking, Job Interview, FBLA Creed and Business Calculations.

“It was scary at first because I did not know what was happening, but I ended up having a very good time,” said Cullen Duval. “My favorite part of the day was competing. I enjoyed this the most because I got to talk to the other people competing in my group and I was just excited to be able to finally present my speech in front of the judges.”

As all of the students finished competing in a variety of events, they headed back to the auditorium where BHS FBLA members led different icebreakers that engaged the students and helped pass the time.

After icebreakers, Tore Borhaug, from Tore’s Homes, talked to the students about what it took to be an entrepreneur and the road he took to become a successful business owner.

Later in the day was the awards ceremony. Five students from BHS competed, four of which placed.

Aly Henneberry placed 1st in Public Speaking 2.

Cullen Duval placed 2nd in Public Speaking 1.

Charlie Cash placed 3rd in Business Communications.

Benton Tynch placed 5th in Business Calculations.

“My favorite part was seeing everyone’s excitement when they placed in their event,” said Dolly McCall, BHS FBLA advisor

The chapter is now preparing for the state competition which is held in Greensboro, NC in March.