Time for the Annual Madrigal Dinners

by Abby Smith and Declan Lusk

Brevard High School’s arts department will be putting on the 25th annual Madrigal dinner on December 9 and 10. This dinner theatre performance will be held at the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd and begins as 6:45.

Madrigals are “a dinner theatre set during the medieval period,” said Candace Owen, theatre teacher. “We have a king, a queen, a jester, knights, singers, and dancers. All the while you are getting this really beautiful Christmas music, jokes, sword fights, and also a five course meal.”

Guests will be entertained by the royal court, jester, and singers and dancers.

There will be some changes to this year’s dinners. The royal court will be performing a waltz, and the jester will be playing some new games with the audience.

“I think one of my favorite parts is when we get the audience involved, and the jester, who has become the royal inquirer, connects with the audience,” said Owen.

James Hargis, a senior, is the jester this year in the dinners. The role of jester is flamboyant and will require him to interact with the royal court and the audience in goofy and exciting ways.

“I have always liked to make people laugh and have always had a thing for comedy. This lets me to do it in a role that allows me to interact with people freely,” Hargis said.

Tickets for the event are sold out.

,